Thursday, February 17, 2011

Honey Chicken Kabobs

I have found the perfect marinade for kabobs. I have experimented again and again trying to find the perfect flavor... and I finally figured it out. Since most pre-mixed marinades have gluten in them, I've started to make my own sauces using gluten free ingredients. This is my favorite one for grilling... We made them last night, they were delicious! Keep in mind you can vary the veggies however you want. This time, I just used red and orange bell pepper, and pineapple.  When I usually make them, I used pineapple chunks, red pepper, green pepper, and onion.

In the past I have also added: mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes.. Anything goes!

Also, we make them on the grill but you could easily do them in the oven on a cookie sheet @ 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.

Honey Chicken Kabobs

What you need:
(double recipe as needed, this makes 3-4 kabobs)

3-4 skewers (If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water first)
2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, defrosted and cut into 1" chunks or so
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Pineapple chunks
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. soy sauce (La Choy is gluten free)
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

What to Do:
1. Chop chicken, peppers, onion.
2. In a small bowl, mix honey and olive oil.
3. Whisk in soy sauce.
4. Add garlic and pepper.
5. Let veggies and chicken marinate in mixture for at least 30 minutes (I have done it as long as one day).
6. Alternate chicken, vegetables, and pineapple on skewers.
7. Heat grill and place skewers on grill, rotating every 5 minutes. Brush leftover marinade on skewers if desired (we usually do this). Grill until chicken is fully cooked and serve over white rice.

I don't know what it is about these skewers... but something about the flavor is great. The honey really makes it, in comparison to other marinades. Also, it doesn't need to be just for skewers. You could use it for regular chicken or steak on the grill as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment