Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole

This was so easy and such a hit! I am going to add this to my "go to" recipes that are easy, few ingredients, and tasty! I modified a recipe that I found online... and this is what I came up with.

Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole

What You Need:

2 1/2 cups chopped chicken breast meat (I used Tyson's Grilled Strips in the green bag, and chopped them up... they are delicious and gluten free)
1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup (it's gluten free)
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
16 ounces broccoli ( I used Green Giant's Steamers and cooked it beforehand to avoid extra water)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
Rice (optional)

What You Do:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine chopped chicken, soup, cheese, broccoli (cooked), garlic and pepper, and rice if desired.
3. Mix well and spread into greased 9 x 13 pan. 
4. Cook for 50 minutes at 350 degrees, or until bubbly.



Tips:

I do have some tips with this dish, because next time I would do things a little differently...

1. I served the rice on the side, and put the casserole over the rice. Next time, I would add rice to the casserole. It comes out a little bit watery, and I think this would help, as well as add flavor to the rice. Either way, the flavor was delicious.

2. It is VERY important to cook the chicken and broccoli beforehand, so that the cooking process of those two items doesn't add any extra water to the food.

Overall... it was easy, and delicious! Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. We've made something like this for years and it's always been a family favorite. We grease a 9x13 and layer in cooked rice, chopped, cooked chicken (can also use a store-bought rotisserie chicken that you know is GF like from Whole Foods), chopped steamed broccoli/asparagus, the Progresso GF mushroom soup (we add extra sauteed mushrooms, some curry powder and a crushed GF chicken bouillon cube to ours while heating it up) and top with shredded cheese. Bake it til bubbly and it's delish! Nice to see others like this recipe too! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete